Five tips for fireside festivities
Comfort food, cosy nights in – there are plenty of reasons to spend the holidays fireside. It’s the season for tradition, but that doesn’t have to mean doing the same thing every year. Here are our tips for fresh things to try.
1. Host a raclette supper. An authentic raclette is ideal for a festive feast – and it doesn’t mean spending hours in the kitchen. It’s a traditional Alpine dish, best enjoyed with some snow-capped mountains for a backdrop.
2. Make your own mulled wine. Mulled wine is always a crowd-pleaser at this time of year, and it’s not at all tricky to make your own. Our recipe is easy, delicious and simple to adjust to suit your own tastes. And it’ll fill the house with the smell of holidays.
3. Decorate your dining table. The place to eat, drink and be merry – your dining table’s in the spotlight this season. As well as decorating the room it’s in, take the time to dress the table itself, too (we’ve rounded up some great ideas here).
4. Focus on the fireplace. A roaring fire will look even more festive if you’ve decorated the fireplace. Stockings are the classic choice, but wreaths, fairy lights and baubles are good options too.
5. Gather people together. But make it easy for yourself. Once you’ve set the stage, encourage people to help themselves at the table, and sit back and enjoy.