Five tips for poolside festivities
Spending the winter holidays somewhere sunny? A poolside setting can inspire you to put a twist on your festive traditions – and even create some new ones. These are a few of our favourite tips.
1. Dine al fresco. Gather family and friends together for a seasonal feast – outdoors. Dress the dinner table with hothouse flowers, or even tropical fruits. And when you’re decking the halls, don’t forget the outdoor areas too.
2. Embrace the outdoor space. Make the most of the balmier weather and longer days. Shelve the holiday films and board games, and let any little ones blow off steam out in the garden, or, if you’re holidaying shoreside, down on the beach.
3. Try fresh ideas. Yes, it’s a time for tradition. But there’s still room for new things. Browse around for new trends to try out – furoshiki gift wrapping (a pretty, eco-friendly alternative to paper) is an easy one to try.
4. Work up an appetite. Before settling down to the roast turkey, enjoy a few lengths in the pool, or head to the nearest beach for an invigorating swim in the sea.
5. Sip something different. Instead of reaching for mulled wine or eggnog, mix up something more suited to warm weather. If you’re short on time, a squeeze of any tropical fruit juice jazzes up a glass of prosecco very nicely.